Thursday, April 7, 2011

Have you ever seen the rain?

I wanna know...

In light of having done a class project last year on how natural disaster relief and social networking are growing more and more entertwined, I've decided to do an investigative effort of my own.

Japan has been hit by yet another quake - this time a massive aftershock from what occurred earlier this month. I simply cannot phathom what it would be like to live through the sheer terror of not knowing when disaster might strike again.

I don't have the resources or capability right now to go directly to Japan to help out, but I also know that I can't sit back and watch as these people struggle helplessly through surviving these difficult times. So what I do have is a little money. I don't have the ability to send thousands of dollars, but I do have a job that provides me with enough that I can give back.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm posting this blog to Facebook and Twitter. For each person that comments on it, "likes" it, retweets it, etc. from now until Easter, I'm going to donate $1 to the Red Cross for relief efforts in Japan. You can comment, "like," retweet as many times as you want until then, and I'll post it once every morning at 10 a.m. CT. I'll keep up with how much money I've raised and post that daily, as well. I may not be able to give the grand total right away, but I'll donate a little at a time until I've covered it.

Social networking is an incredible thing, and I hope this will make use of it in the best way I know how.

If anyone is interested in contributing, let me know.

Keep Japan and its people in your thoughts in prayers...they've seen the rain, and the storms still aren't through...

"When it's over, so they say, it'll rain a sunny day...I know...Shining down like water..."

No comments:

Post a Comment